|Platform||PC (Windows, OS X, Linux, Web)|
|Target audience||Retro/puzzle game enthusiasts|
|Play time||2 minutes (4 levels)|
|Production time||3 days|
|Role||Game design, Programming, Art, Audio|
Either use one of the links above, or go to the itch.io page.
|Start emitting letters||X|
|Toggle interactive element||Click on interactive element|
|Restart level||Click on top-right Restart icon|
|(Debug) Previous level||Left arrow|
|(Debug) Next level||Right arrow|
REORDERED is a puzzle game where the player must reorder letters moving in a 2D space by interacting with the environment, in order to form an imposed word.
A given word is decomposed in letters that are sent at regular intervals from an emitting antenna. A letter travels in straight line until it reaches an element that affects its trajectory. The player can enable and disable those elements in order to guide the letters into a certain direction.
Letters eventually arrive on a receiving antenna to compound a word again. Some trajectories being longer than others, letters are effectively reordered by the timely toggling of interactive elements, causing a new word to be created.
The game consists of 4 levels defined by:
- a tilemap containing elements that affect the letters’ motion, some fixed and some that can be toggled
- an initial word sent
- a goal word that the player must recompose by reordering the letters
I made this game for the Global Game Jam 2018 on theme Transmission. As all the jam sites around me were already full, I took part in the event unofficially and the game is not registered on the GGJ website. I also wanted to start making games with PICO-8 (which uses Lua) so I thought it was a good opportunity to try the fantasy console.
- 4 levels with a word to form
- Mouse control
- Debug keys
- Simple graphics
- Simple BGM and SFX
This is a very small project but I managed to add a few things that usually don’t make into jam code:
- Coroutines (to send letters periodically and delay visual/audio effects)
- Unit tests (with simple assertions on game start)
For this small project I wrote the whole code in one file (as we normally do with PICO-8), although I will use build tools like picotool for my future projects.
I also wrote a micro post-mortem on my blog: